Monday, September 13, 2021

Dr. Matthew Flannagan refuses to accept my debate challenge

Here is an email I sent to Flannagan a few weeks ago:
From: Barry Jones <barryjoneswhat@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 5:23 PM
Subject: Proposed internet discussion about the reasonableness of atheism
To: Matthew Flannagan <mattflannagan@gmail.com>

Hello,
I have arguments for the reasonableness of atheism that, as far as I can tell, you don't address.
I would like to discuss such arguments with you.
Would you be willing to have such a discussion?
I'd be willing to communicate over whatever medium you feel most comfortable with,
whether it be your blog, my blog, email, or something else.
Looking forward to a fruitful exchange.
Barry.
Flannagan has not responded.  Indeed, the last time I posted a reply to his blog, he gave a short non-substantive response, then changed the page so that the "reply" link no longer works:
http://www.mandm.org.nz/2021/02/published-in-sophia-why-the-horrendous-deeds-objection-is-still-a-bad-argument.html

I posted a more comprehensive challenge to him in 2017 (showing that his "dispossession hypothesis" in reply to the Genocide accusation ironically makes God a greater moral monster than the "kill'em all" hypothesis he was trying to refute) to which he also never responded.  See last post, so far (as of today, September 10, 2021):
http://www.mandm.org.nz/2017/10/richard-carrier-on-the-moral-scepticism-objection-to-divine-command-theory.html

I'm not the only critic Flannagan has refused to debate, he also refuses to debate Randal Rauser:
Paul Copan and Matthew Flannagan Don’t Want to Debate Me. But if They Did, I’d Ask Them This
July 31, 2021 by Randal
Paul Copan and Matthew Flannagan offer extensive critiques of my views in their book Did God Really Command Genocide? In turn, I devoted most of a chapter on what I called “The Just War Interpreters” to an extensive critique of their ‘kinder, gentler’ interpretation of the Canaanite genocide by demonstrating that it collapses into ethnic cleansing and genocide. In other words, their attempt to align the text more closely with our moral intuitions is, in my view, an utter failure.

Needless to say, I was interested in debating Copan or Flannagan. So a popular YouTuber reached out to Flannagan in late April. He agreed to debate and so I sent him an e-copy of Jesus Loves Canaanites. Flannagan has not responded in months so it is now a safe bet that he is not, in fact, going to debate.

In early May, another popular YouTuber reached out to Paul Copan asking him to debate. His reply was that he was too busy. To be sure, a debate would only take an hour or two and I would be happy to accommodate Copan’s schedule. So I was disappointed by that unequivocal no.

To sum up, it would appear that neither Copan nor Flannagan is willing to debate me on the central thesis of their book. They claim that God didn’t command genocide but I argue that on their reading of Deuteronomy and Joshua, God did command genocide. So I’m left with this. What would I ask Copan or Flannagan if they did debate me? In this article, I will highlight a question I want to ask them. But first I need to provide a bit of set-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jason Engwer doesn't appreciate the strong justification for skepticism found in John 7:5

Bart Ehrman, like thousands of other skeptics, uses Mark 3:21 and John 7:5 to argue that Jesus' virgin birth (VB) is fiction.  Jason Eng...